Losing a loved one is hard and planning a funeral service can seem overwhelming. Choosing the casket or urn, deciding between cremation and traditional burial, planning the right service- it's understandable that so many families feel lost.
Basic Funerals aims to provide you with the knowledge that you need to make informed decisions and gain a deeper understanding of the process. Contact us at any time with your questions.
Funeral Service or Memorial Service: What's the Difference?
When deciding between a funeral or memorial service for your loved one, it is helpful to understand the difference. While both funeral and memorial services have proven value for mourners, there are a few differences.
A funeral is a celebration of life where the deceased is present at the service. Memorial services are also life celebrations but take place without a casket. Generally speaking, funeral services take place shortly after a death takes place. Because the body is present, there are time constraints to be taken into consideration. Memorial services offer flexibility as far as timing is concerned but offer the same opportunity to honour and pay respect to your loved one.
Funeral Planning FAQ
There are many questions which people will pose when planning the funeral a loved one. Some of the most common ones are as follows:
- How much does a funeral cost? The cost of a funeral service depends on your preferences. Funerals can cost under $2,000 or more than $10,000. Contact your funeral home today to inquire about funeral pricing and planning.
- What is the Role of a Funeral Director? Funeral directors are overseers and caregivers. They are responsible for the transportation and preparation of the deceased, for the arrangement and implementation of funeral and memorial services, for the final disposition, and for the completion of all necessary paperwork. They are there to support those who need their help, to guide families through their darkest times, and to counsel those who need it. Funeral directors ensure that those under their care receive the best service possible.
- What Kind of Funeral Service Should I Plan? This is a personal decision that is made either by the deceased, if pre-arrangements are in place, or by family and friends. Funeral services vary depending on the faith, culture, and personal preferences of those involved. Some families choose to hold services in a funeral home whereas others wish to have them in a place of worship. Whichever direction you choose, know that there is no right or wrong way to plan a funeral service
- Can I Customize my Funeral Service? Certainly. Funeral services should be planned in a way that is meaningful. We will work with you to ensure that the service you choose is planned according to your wishes.
- Why Should I Choose a Public Viewing? At the end of the day, what's important is that the decisions you make represent you and your loved one. For some people, open caskets allow for a final sense of closure. For others, it isn't a necessary part of the funeral service process.
- Are Obituaries Necessary? Obituaries are an excellent way to inform friends, extended family, and the community that a death has taken place. It allows for people to have a way to learn about funeral service arrangements, making it easier for the grieving family. Obituaries are also a wonderful way to honour a loved one and share some of the things that made them so special.
Planning a Funeral Service
Planning the funeral for your loved one should not be a time of trial for you and your family. Partner with a reliable funeral home today and let them sort out everything when the time comes. Basic Funerals have a varied number of services which we offer to you and your family and are always willing to help wherever we can. Give us a call today and plan your loved ones funeral in the easiest way possible.